We fight for decent work, democratic participation, and social justice worldwide. On behalf of our donors, we put solidarity into action in over 60 projects in four continents. With foresight and ambition we eliminate social wrongs, and create possibilities and prospects for disadvantaged people.
Duty station: Chimoio, Mozambique
Starting date: ASAP
Duration: short term contract of 4 weeks
Reporting line: tbd
Cyclone Idai killed hundreds of people and left widespread flooding in Mozambique. Solidar Suisse has been present in the country for 35 years, implementing development projects in the affected provinces. Currently, we are in the process of rolling out a comprehensive emergency and recovery response with thematic focus on WASH and food security.
The purpose of the position is to ensure that finance systems are adequate to the size of the response and the current context, allowing for sound and efficient management of mobilized resources. He/she reviews current financial systems and provides high quality management advice and support to adjust them to the requirements of the current situation.
Responsibilities and key tasks
- Review current finance systems, and, if necessary, recommend improvements for procedures for financial follow up, grant management, and financial reporting, to ensure compliance with donor regulations
- Assist finance staff in establishment of procedures for tracking emergency response income / expenditure in accordance with internal policies, procedures and based on existing systems
- Ensure that internal controls are in place whilst systems support rapid response
- Review the structure of the finance team including additional staffing needs. Assist in writing of job descriptions for financial positions and selection of suitable applicants, where needed
- Ensure typical donor requirements for documentation of expenditures are met to facilitate attribution of expenses to donors. Provide guidance to finance staff on donor policies and procedures (particularly Unicef)
- Review filing system to ensure it can provide easy access to information and proper documentation of all financial requirement
- Identify and support the team to resolve any financial management problems which may arise, and provide on-the-job-training to finance staff on new tools and procedures; set up documentation for the changed processes
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in finance management and accounting for an NGO in emergency / recovery settings.
- Sound experience in multi donor grant management and humanitarian donor policies and procedures (particularly Unicef)
- Proven experience in developing finance tools and systems for humanitarian operations
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with diverse teams
- Sound knowledge of Portuguese. Proficiency in written English.
Duration and starting date
We look for a candidate who is deployable within 7 days. If interested and qualified, please send your application including detailed CV, and contact details of 3 referees by e-mail with Subject “Emergency Finance Advisor” to email@example.com. Due to the urgency, the position will be filled on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.