We fight for decent work, democratic participation, and social justice worldwide. On behalf of our donors, we put solidarity into action in over 60 projects in four continents. With foresight and ambition we eliminate social wrongs, and create possibilities and prospects for disadvantaged people.
Head of Decent Work Program Pakistan
Starting date: March 2021 (negotiable, but asap)
Duration: fixed term contract 60-80% for 10 months, with possible extension
Duty Station: preferential Islamabad, Pakistan
Reporting to: Desk Officer Solidar HQ (Switzerland)
Background and purpose of the position
Solidar Suisse started its program in Pakistan in the aftermath of the devastating floods in 2010, providing extensive emergency and reconstruction assistance in Punjab and KP Provinces in the fields of livelihood recovery and WASH. From 2015 onwards, its project portfolio was steadily geared towards projects focusing on child labor, implemented in close collaboration with local partner organizations.
From 2021 onwards, Solidar Suisse has the strategic aim to shift its programmatic scope further towards Decent Work and occupational safety and health (OSH) by building and creating new networks, be engaged with trade union federations, designing new projects for marginalized home-based & industrial workers and providing technical support and training to network partners. For this purpose, a country strategy is to be developed, thematically aligned with Solidar Suisse’ Asian Regional Decent Work Program managed by Solidar’s regional office in Hong Kong.
The incumbent will take a leading role in the elaboration of the new strategy, assessing intervention options, identifying and assessing suitable partner organizations, and developing high quality project proposals for call for proposals from institutional donors. The incumbent will further oversee the organization’s operational presence in Pakistan and contribute to the work of the wider Asian Regional Decent Work Program.
- Identify relevant local partner organizations in the field of decent work, lead the process of strategic and operational planning by elaborating feasible programming strategies and developing strong networks with trade unions.
- Translate agreed programming strategies into feasible project designs and write project proposals, meeting the expected requirements of the back-donors (UN agencies, SDC and others). Draft and negotiate new funding opportunities according to the capacity and in line with thematic focus of Solidar Suisse.
- Monitor and support the work of partner organizations and ensure that projects are delivered according to agreed project proposals and result frameworks.
- Assess institutional capacity building needs of the partner organization, elaborate and implement a strategy to respond to identified needs of the local NGO.
- Oversee and finalize the registration process of Solidar Suisse in Pakistan.
- Ensure that project reports, monitoring systems, logistic and financial requirements fulfill Solidar Suisse and donor standards.
- Represent Solidar Suisse vis-a`-vis partner organisations, international donors and other relevant actors and take initiative to network and to identify funding opportunities.
- At least 3 years’ experience in planning, managing and developing new projects in the field of decent work, child right/ child protection at management level in international INGOs.
- Proven experience in organizational-, and strategic development, expertise with trade unions to improve human rights.
- Thematic experience in the field of Decent Work and Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) and a network of practitioners in this field.
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Proven track record in writing project proposals and reports to institutional donors in English.
- Ability to work in a multicultural and politically sensitive environment.
- Strong leadership qualities combined with the ability to work independently with limited supervision.
Potential candidates who meet the above requirements are requested to send their CV, along with a motivation letter, contacts of (2) referees of previous line managers, existing writing samples or samples of published work and present an expected remuneration per month (gross salary) to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org by by 05th March. Applications must mention “Head of Decent Work Program” in the subject line of the mail. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.